Friday, October 03, 2008

Pass the potatoes and the values please!

Ronald Reagan once said, "All great change in America begins at the dinner table."

I see the truth in that statement. Eating together, no TV, no computer, no distractions ... just eating and talking has become a lost pleasure of life. Granted there are times where it is difficult to achieve due to schedules, etc.

I remember my family eating together as a kid more often than not and I feel it really help us remain connected with each other. In a world where it's easier to stay connected electronically rather than life on life, I am making a commitment to stay connected with my family eating dinner together more often than not.

Instead of "waiting on the world to change" how can we do our part each day? One way is the seemingly insignificant dinner time with my family.

When passing the potatoes, let's not forget to pass the values that you wish to see in the world: compassion, social justice, responsibility, and self-control.

What can you do to change your world?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this Doug! One of my favorite quotes is "We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
Thanks for the reminder about how important family dinner time is with NO tv!
Love from Chicago

Todd Oldenburg: Banning, CA said...

good word bro! I love dinner time with my kids...except the clean up part!